United Media Guild seeks candidates for a full-time Staff Representative/Contract Campaign Lead position starting remotely with work moving in-person to Texas when it becomes safe, for one year with a possible additional one year extension. This is a hands-on position that will work daily with bargaining committees, shop stewards, contract action teams and the membership. Only persons with extensive experience running contract campaigns, bargaining and organizing should apply. If you do not have these qualifications your resumé will not be considered.
Job duties include:
- Work with members to develop and implement contract campaigns for first contracts at newly-organized newsrooms
- Develop members to become capable of executing important union roles that give them the chance to grow, learn and lead
- Assist members to negotiate contracts and execute contract campaigns with maximum member participation and leadership engagement
- Assist members in development of contract language based on member surveys and member priorities
- Where appropriate, recommend and assist with filing ULPs/UPCs, grievances, and other actions necessary for contract enforcement and campaign organizing, especially when doing so is designed to increase membership involvement or union strength in a worksite or at the bargaining table
- Assist members to map and chart workplaces, maintain spreadsheets, and track assessments
- Assist members to build leadership networks and structure tests, both for internal and external organizing campaigns
- Develop and run regular membership training on bargaining, organizing and running campaigns that emphasize member and community involvement
- Communicating clearly and authoritatively for media professionals
- Being familiar with labor law and having experience crafting contract proposals and counterproposals
- Build strong internal leadership structures and member networks
- Understanding rapidly shifting media landscape, including social media and new media tech
- Contract enforcement, including grievance handling, disciplinary appeals and arbitrations
- Focusing on internal organizing and membership/leadership development
- Regularly coordinating with local and national NewsGuild staff to set weekly goals, track progress, and brainstorm through challenges
The United Media Guild (TNG-CWA Local 36047) is a union based in St. Louis and represents workers at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rockford Register Star, State Journal-Register, The Southern Illinoisan, Missouri Jobs with Justice along with many others.
Salary: $85,000 with benefits including cell phone reimbursement, 401(k) match and medical, vision and dental benefits.
Applicants should send a resume, cover letter and three references to Shannon Duffy firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 22, 2021.