The United Media Guild will hold a Local meeting at 6 p,m. April 24 at The Dubliner. This will be a happy hour social event for all of active members at all of our units.
The UMG will cover the cost of beer and wine and provide an array of appetizers. Members wishing to purchase mixed drinks may do so at the cash bar. Here is the meeting agenda:
- Present a report of the Local’s finances.
- Hear from Business Representative Shannon Duffy on our ongoing activities.
- Bring proposed revisions to our by-laws to the general membership.
- Answer any questions and address any concerns raised by our members.
- Honor the 2013 Guilder of the Year, Activist of the Year and Steward of the Year. We will also give a Solidarity Award to a deserving group of our members.
The by-law changes are necessitated by UMG’s expansion to include a national Truthout digital publication along with our new units in Springfield, Ill. and Rockford, Ill. All the proposed revisions are posted on this site, under the menu item “By-Laws Revisions” under the blog logo.
The changes were made to achieve the following goals:
- Ensure each unit of the UMG has a voice on the Executive Committee.
- Adjust the allocation of E.C representation to reflect our changing unit memberships.
- Define and refine how our larger units outside the St. Louis area will operate.
- Slightly refine the role of the Administrative Officer to meet the changing demands of the job.
- Adjust our unit, Local and Executive Committee meeting quorums to reflect our changing make-up.
- Move two of our four Local meetings per year outside the St. Louis area to give our members in other areas a voice in our operation,
- Adjust the election timetables and mechanics to accommodate our far-flung membership.
- Adjust language regarding our dues structure to accommodate past and potential future mergers.
- Adjust the language regarding mandatory communication with members to reflect our use of a website and social media in addition to newsletters, bulletin boards and mailings.