Members of the Truthout unit ratified a contract extension through Oct. 31, 2018, during a conference call Wednesday night.
Disciplinary procedures were a key issue in the negotiations. The extension introduced assigned steps — three strikes — and added a “clean slate” provision. (If there is no repeat of the disciplinary infraction for 12 months, the original infraction is voided for the purpose of progressive discipline.)
Here is a quick overview:
• Internet connection fee reimbursement increased to $60.
• Increased severance pay.
• Five additional holidays.
• Improved training language.
• Raises of 2% per year when the 6-month reserve level is met.
• Contract re-opener after in one year to discuss wages if that reserve level is not met.
• Increased medical premium reimbursements when the 6-month reserve level is met.
• A digital suggestion box for our members to share ideas.
Members also voted to reelect unit chair Mike Ludwig, a reporter at Truthout. We can’t thank Mike enough for his energetic work on behalf of a membership that is scattered across the country in a virtual newsroom.